So, ya, I am officially moved into my new current residence. My first area is Iowa City. 3rd biggest college party city in the US, haha. Apparently on game days the entire city shuts down. If it doesn't involve the game, it doesn't exist on that day. My companion/trainer is Elder Ware. He's a pretty cool guy. I like him so far and we seem to get along well. I'm in a full time car area right now. We have a truck full time for me and my companion, but we only get about 500 miles per month, so there will still be a lot of walking. The apartment is pretty ghetto, not going to lie. And from what Elder Ware says, this is about the 3rd nicest apartment in the mission. Oh boy. Can't wait to see where I'll be living next!
We taught someone last night. She is a recovering meth and crack addict, and she is probably going to lose custody of her son (this will be her 3rd child). We mainly just talked to her and tried to build trust (by we I mean Elder Ware - I didn't say too much) but we taught her the first principles and how to pray. She said she will pray like we taught her and read the bible everyday. She doesn't know if she wants to join. She has been to Church and thinks it is boring. But, she really wants to know more about it, and something has caught her attention because she wants us to keep coming back. It might sound liker her problems are pretty extreme, and she definately is no role mode, but that's the great thing I have learned out here. Even ex-meth addicts with a criminal record and 3 children that have been put up for adoption are nowhere near too far gone. The worth of EVERY soul is great in the sight of God.
So...ya, winter stuff is needed sooner than I thought. It snowed today (some day last week). We got to decorate our planners today! Fun stuff. Arts and Crafts are great! Ha ha. So it is game day for homecoming today. It is a night game, a game between rivals, and the Hawkeyes are undefeated - 3 things that lead to a HUGE game. It's around 2pm, the game starts at 7pm and there are people everywhere. It's so ridiculous. We get nothing done on days like this becaue no one wants to talk to you. All they care about is the game. It's intense how crazy these fans are. I'm glad noise doesn't bother me, otherwise I would be in for a long night!
We taught someone named Dan last night. He has been investigating for quite some time now. He investigated with the Jehovah's Witnesses for a year, but he said what sets us apart is the Book of Mormon. We have that something extra. He is very cautious and, surprisingly, probably studies the scriptures more than us. He knows a lot, and is well on his way to getting baptized, but he just doesn't think he can answer all of the baptismal questions truthfuly yet. He says he thinks Thomas S. Monson is a prophet, but he says he doesn't think he can go out in the street, look someone in the eye and tell them that he is a prophet. I am very excited for him. He is progressing very well and has come a long way.
Love and miss you all - Elder Cooper
No comments:
Post a Comment